Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, New Beginnings?

Last night, I rang in the New Year in the company of some fabulous people. It was a night of good food, good music, and of course good friends. I may not have had a man to kiss at midnight, however, I did have two hot ladies that helped ring in 2010 with me.

I should have been thrilled to welcome the new year with many of my close friends by my side. Actually, I was thrilled. But while ringing in the new year, I had one of those slow motion, deja vu moments in which I realized that the status of my personal life had been significantly the same over the last five years. I had flashbacks to the many bad dates that I've gone on over the last couple of years. And honestly, I couldn't help but feel completely and totally frusterated.

The next morning, I called my mom to wish her a happy new year, and she made a comment that furthered this frusteration. "You know, the only reason that you're single is because you want to be". It took all of the self-control that I had not to scream (well, plus, I figured that screaming could only make my hangover worse). I mean, I feel like I really have been trying. I could perhaps try harder, but it didn't seem fair that she put 100% of the blame on me - I mean the universe could lend a bit of a helping hand, don't you think?

However, I've since sobered up (and successfully recovered from my hangover), and realized another thing - 2010 really could have the potential for some new beginnings. Certain things really have changed over the last few years. For the first time in a decade, I don't feel like the fate of the rest of my life lies in the hands of one certain person. There are endless possibilities out there. I would be lying if I said that all my bitterness and frusteration has faded away. But I am hoping that the new decade will bring new possibilities and that I will allow myself to embrace them.

No comments: